Tuesday, April 23

13 Sentences by John Cage

John Cage's "On Robert Rauschenberg, Artist, and His Work" includes, in no particular order, the following sentences:

1.   A canvas is never empty.

2.   The icicles all go down.
3.   Would we have preferred a pig with an apple in its mouth?
4.   He is like that butcher whose knife never became dull simply because he cut with it in such a way that it never encountered an obstacle.
5.   Shortly the stranger leaves, leaving the door open.
6.   Setting out one day for a birthday party, I noticed the streets were full of presents.
7.   Does his head have a bed in it?
8.   He is not saying; he is painting.
9.   I know he put the paint on the tires.
10. Ideas are not necessary.
11. As the lady said, "Well, if it isn't art, then I like it."
12. What do images do?
13. I am trying to be unfamiliar with what I am doing. 

No comments: